Monday, December 26, 2005

Sounds, Cars and Men

I am walking in Vali Asr Street, center of Tehran, to find a bookshop. Its 6 p.m. There is a crazy traffic around.

Sounds, cars and men, it's my picture from the street. Men are driving cars. Cars are men's advantage to approach women in street. Men are inviting women to be with them in their own cars… this picture sounds stupid but it's real and so unattractive.

I am thinking that these men are just driving in a crazy traffic to approach women in ugliest way, to harass them, to violate their dignity.

I want to cross the street. Sounds are bothering me. The way that they are looking, the way that they are approaching…. I'm thinking may be there is some thing wrong with my clothing, although I know these men do not care about clothes of women in streets as an indicator to recognize that who is interested in their approach. They are coming close to all of women in streets like real street's women, a term which is using to describe female prostitutes in Iran.

I'm feeling bad. I wish I had a car. I wanted to run to my car. I wanted them to see me when I'm in my own car. It's a childish reaction, I know, but its only way to stand and put in the picture that I do not need their cars as it’s a cheapest price for dignity of a woman.

I'm feeling bad…

6 Comments:

At Monday, December 26, 2005, Blogger Her Highness ~ صاحبة السموّ said...

... We all feel bad not only you, girls all around the world. Even in my car men follow me, gazing at me. Oh! I'm not pretending being so beautiful but being a girl in the man's world is enough to feel uncomfortable. Outside is not for us we may keep inside but that's contrary to what men are claiming. did they just try to fool us?
we feel the same despite the fact that we are in seprate lands with different habits and religions. Men are the same all over the world or let's say the relation between genders is quite the same, just "Universal" and conflictuel
... I feel very bad

 
At Tuesday, December 27, 2005, Blogger Sahar Maranlou said...

You are right; my story is rising from gender inequality as some of men believe that they have the permission to approach women in streets. They don’t think that it’s a harassment or violation of women self-esteem. Many of them even feel that their approach can improve women confidence.

 
At Thursday, December 29, 2005, Blogger Her Highness ~ صاحبة السموّ said...

A freind of mine ( a girl too)suggested that we girls have to do the same (I don't think it possible there in your coutry indeed) she just wants to feel like men feel when approaching women
what do you think of her opinion?
oh HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Friday, December 30, 2005, Blogger Sahar Maranlou said...

Happy New Year! And wish you health and peace in New Year,

In fact I think your friend's suggestion can make men happier …. In my opinion there should be some regulation to protect women case of street's violation for instance they can report to Police. I also think there should be some advocacy programs in different countries to show men that most of the times their approach to women especially in public places is violation to women dignity. Unfortunately, Western media and movie industry are promoting men approach to women in street.

By the way, Iranians are celebrating March in solar year as New Year.

 
At Friday, December 30, 2005, Blogger Her Highness ~ صاحبة السموّ said...

I don't thing regulation methods or repressions can prevent such behaviours. The only way to avoid streets' violations is to teach boys how to behave from their early age (education and espacially religious education can help in this case, but beware of bad interpretations of relgions)

Girls have also to behave as well and bring self-respect

... How do you feel now?

 
At Friday, December 30, 2005, Blogger Sahar Maranlou said...

I agree with education which has gender sensitivity. I also have the same opinion with you on behavior of women to bring self-respect.
Again I think law should be some step forwarder the society so a good law can lead a society to justice and equality so I think some times law can help women in street's violation. However, law is not enough to prevent it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home